Come to Downtown Portage and celebrate Canal Days on June 4. Our Canal Days theme this year is Pirates! Come see MN Jack Sparrow, as Joshua Godfredson gives us an impersonation of Captain Jack Sparrow during the parade. Meet MN Captain Jack Sparrow at Commerce Plaza after the parade and learn some REAL pirate facts and bring your camera for a photo!
We encourage you to decorate your parade floats with a pirate theme and/or mermaids. Feel free to dress yourselves in any pirate themed costumes as well. Click here for the parade application. Parade at 11am along Cook Street
The parade route will take place entirely on Cook Street (Hwy 33). It will begin at the corner of MacFarlane Road and Cook Street in front of St. Mary Church. It will proceed east down Cook Street and continue to Market Square parking lot and end. Performers include UW Marching Band, Portage High School Band, Stiltwalkers, Portage Soundworks
Live Entertainment at Commerce Plaza
- 11:30am Mandjou Mara Drumming Circle
- 12:30 MN Jack Sparrow Nautical Presentation. Bring your camera for photos!
Live Entertainment at Grassy Area across from Chamber office
- Noon Tyler from the VanDwellers
- 1pm Portage Soundworks Music Students
Food at Commerce Plaza 11am-2pm
- Portage Presbyterian Church will be selling brats, hot dogs and drinks
- Kiwanis Club of Portage will be selling ice cream
- Our downtown restaurants will be open and ready for you to come enjoy lunch
Walking Tour at 10am
- 10am, Judy Eulberg will lead a walking tour of the downtown that leaves from the Chamber of Commerce.
Kid's Activities 11am-2pm
- Balloon Sculpting and Face & Arm Painting at the Chamber of Commerce office outside on sidewalks. Take a free balloon animal/creature home with you and get your face and arm painting with Elizabeth. No charge.
Canoe Rides 11am-2pm
- Free Canoe rides from 11am-2pm on the Portage Canal between the County Administration Building and the Health and Human Services Building. Meet at the Canal at the corner of Adams St. & Edgewater St., near the County Administration Building.
Business Specials - Portage Center for the Arts will be be hosting the Art that Blooms exhibit from 10am-3pm; the gallery is free and open to the public. - R. Condon Gallery & Custom Framery will be having a sidewalk sale from 11am-2pm at their location at 223 West Cook Street.
Other Activities In Portage on Saturday, June 4
- Historic Indian Agency House Tours with a Civil War Encampment
- Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters open for tours
Sunday June 5
Annual Elks Fisheree open to all kids age 12 and under. Must be accompanied by an adult. 9:30am registration. Bring your own pole and bait.