Come to Downtown Portage and celebrate Canal Days on June 3. Our Canal Days theme this year is Earth! Come connect to earth through a community drum circle, hoop dance class, music, and more!
10AM Walking Tour
- Judy Eulberg will lead a walking tour of the downtown that leaves from the Chamber of Commerce.
11AM Parade along Cook Street - PARADE APPLICATION We encourage you to decorate your parade floats with an earth theme (animals, plants, trees, elements, etc). Feel free to dress yourselves in any earth themed costumes as well.
The parade route will take place entirely on Cook Street (Hwy 33). It will begin at the corner of MacFarlane Road and Cook Street in front of St. Mary Church. It will proceed east down Cook Street and continue to Market Square parking lot and end.
11AM Re-Enactments at the Historic Indian Agency House - Tours available onsite and enjoy the Civil War Encampment
11AM Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters Tours Available
11:30AM Live Entertainment at Commerce Plaza to follow the parade The Vandwellers will be performing from 11:30AM-2PM
Two brothers making their way back to Portage to lay a mix of both original songs and a wide range of your favorite cover songs.
11:45AM Interactive Workshops at Grassy Area across from Chamber office
Sound Exploration with Elmore Lawson from 11:45 AM-12:45 PM
All ages are welcome for this interactive drum circle for all levels of experience. Playful, expressive and energetic environment. Collaborate to create music as a community and learn basic world drum rhythms and chants. Participate in soundscape exercises focusing on just listening without judgment. Learn how to participate in a drum circle, including rhythms, chants, call and response and solo phrases
11AM-2PM Food at Commerce Plaza - Portage Presbyterian Church will be selling brats and hot dogs
- Kiwanis Club of Portage will be selling chicken sandwiches.
- Our downtown restaurants will be open and ready for you to come enjoy lunch
11AM-2PM Kid's Activities
- Balloon Sculpting at the Chamber of Commerce office outside on sidewalks. Take a free balloon animal/creature home with you. No charge.
Noon Ice Age Trail Community Celebration at the new Portage Canal Path Segment
- Following the parade at Noon come to the new path segment at the Portage Canal near the County Administration Building at the corner of Adams St. & Edgewater St. Come be part of our celebration as the Portage community is officially designated an Ice Age Trail Community by the Ice Age Trail Alliance. The new path will be open for you to walk, bike or even bring your canoe to paddle.
Noon Free Canoe Rides with Wild Wisco Waters on the Portage Canal. Meet at Adams Street and Edgewater Street near the Columbia County Administration Building.
1PM Hoop Dance Class with Danielle Lee from Hoop Elation at Grassy Area across from Chamber office Join this activity from 1PM- 2PM for ages 4 and up An Activity that brings together movement, expression, and mindfulness in such an uplifting way. Participants will learn beginner friendly hoop moves through the 10-Trick Game. Danielle will lead hoop based creative movement exploration exercises, partner/group activities, and games. Danielle is a certified instructor and lives to teach classes, lead events, perform, and do everything possible to share the transformational joy of hooping.
10AM Rock the Grandstand at Veterans Memorial Field Enjoy live music, various vendors and food. Come help raise money to restore the Grandstands.
Sunday June 4
9:30AM Annual Elks Fisheree open to all kids age 12 and under. Must be accompanied by an adult. 9:30am registration. Bring your own pole and bait.